Art Therapy Program Plan *
* Program on hold – Athabasca University and the Vancouver Art Therapy Institute have decided to suspend admissions to the Master of Counselling: Art Therapy specialization, commencing with the 2020 admissions year while we review the program and the partnership. Updates to this decision will be provided as details emerge.
Students in the Art Therapy specialization will complete a portion of their coursework through Athabasca University and a portion through the Vancouver Art Therapy Institute (VATI). For more details on the Art Therapy specialization courses, please see the VATI web pages. Since we are working with relatively small cohorts of students in this stream, it will be important for you to adhere to the proposed course schedule.
The thesis route is not available to MC:AT students, because it does not allow room for the art therapy specialization courses.
|Year||Semester||GCAP Courses||VATI Courses|
|I||Fall||GCAP 631: Models of Counselling and Client Change (Online)|
|Winter||GCAP 633: Infusing Culture into Counselling (Online)|
|Spring / Summer||GCAP 671: Developing a Working Alliance (Online + Summer Institute)
GCAP 635: Intervening to Facilitate Client Change (Online + Summer Institute)
|II||Fall||GCAP 691: Methods of Inquiry (Online)|
|Winter||GCAP 632: Professional Ethics (Online)
GCAP 651: Art Therapy History and Theory
|Spring / Summer||GCAP 634: Assessment Processes (Online)||VATI 601: Art Therapy Training Group I (Summer Institute)
VATI 603: Art Therapy Techniques Lab I (Summer Institute)
|III||Fall||GCAP 685: Advanced Counselling Practicum (Online, Field Placement, + Intensive Seminar)||VATI 617: Specialized Practicum (200 hours)|
|Winter||GCAP 685: Advanced Counselling Practicum (Online, Field Placement, + Intensive Seminar)||VATI 617: Specialized Practicum continued (may extend into spring semester)|
|Spring / Summer||VATI 601: Art Therapy Training Group II (Summer Institute)
VATI 603: Art Therapy Techniques Lab II (Summer Institute)
|IV||Fall||GCAP 695: Specialization Seminar: Knowledge Transfer|
- In order to meet all of the requirements for Art Therapy Certification and for the GCAP Master of Counselling Program, students are required to complete an additional 300 hours of supervised practicum. VATI 617 fulfills this purpose. You must plan ahead for the extra time this will require. This practicum will include a number of instructional modules included in the VATI summer institutes and some additional assignments.
- Two courses will be recognized for transfer credit into the GCAP Master of Counselling to complete your degree requirements: VATI 601 and VATI 603. VATI 601 and VATI 603 are offered in two parts, one at each of the VATI Summer Institutes that occur in years II and III of your program.
- You will be required to attend both the GCAP Summer Institute in Year I and the two VATI Summer Institutes in years II and III. No exceptions will be permitted. The VATI Summer Institutes will be held in Vancouver at VATI.
- To meet all of the requirements for certification, MCAT student require one additional elective, which will result in one extra-to-program course registration.
- GCAP 635: Intervening to Facilitate Client Change includes a number of intervention modules. All MC:AT students are required to complete the following modules as part of this course: GCAP 635MArt2: Interventions - Child Art Therapy Module and GCAP 635MArt3: Interventions - Adolescent Art Therapy Module.