Sherri Melrose Ph.D. RN
- Ph.D. (1998), University of Calgary
Psychiatric mental health nursingTeaching Portfolio
Teaching and Learning Interests
- Clinical teaching
- Online teaching
- Constructivist approaches to education
Scholarship and Research Interests
- Teaching and Learning in Health Professions
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
- Co-occurring Developmental Disabilities and Mental Illness
- Professional Socialization
- LPN to BN transitions
- Chair, Athabasca University Research Ethics Board
- Chair, Clinical Teaching Interest Group, Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN)
- College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA)
- Canadian Federation of Mental Health Nurses (CFMHN)
- Canadian Association of Nurse Researchers (CANR)
- Association for the Advancement of Educational Research (AAER)
Honors & Awards
- Award for Excellence in Nursing Education from Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN)
- Project exploring professional socialization experiences of Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN’s) transitioning to the role of Registered Nurse (RN) funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Project supporting individuals with co-occurring developmental disabilities and mental illness funded by the Collaborative Research Grant Initiative (CRGI)
- Project developing clinical teaching e-textbook funded by the Campus Alberta Open Educational Resources Initiative (OER)
Sherri Melrose has presented at conferences on topics related to nursing education, psychiatric mental health nursing and online teaching and learning in health professions.
See here for over fifty of Dr. Melrose’s publications in refereed journals
Melrose, S. Park, C. & Perry, B. (2020). Centring human connections in the education of health professionals. AU Press: Athabasca, AB, Canada.
Melrose, S., Park, C. & Perry, B. (2015). Creative clinical teaching in the health professions.
Melrose, S., Dusome, D., Simpson, J., Crocker, C., Athens, E. (2015). Supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities & mental illness: What caregivers need to know. BCcampus, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Melrose, S., Park, C. & Perry, B. (2013). Teaching health professionals online: Frameworks and Strategies. AU Press: Athabasca, AB, Canada.