Non-Program Student Application
Please read all the application procedures carefully before you begin the application process.
Visiting students and prospective students who have not been admitted to the MC, GDC, or PMCC programs may be permitted to register in up to two approved GCAP courses on a first-come, first-served basis, space permitting.
This option is only available to current and post-Master's learners who are not currently enrolled in the MC, GDC, or PMCC programs. Eligible applicants may apply to register in MC courses on a first-come, first-served basis, space permitting. Courses taken as a non-program learner may be directly applied toward the program in accordance with the degree requirements if a learner is accepted as a program student. Grades on courses completed as a non-program student will be considered in the admission process. However, the GCAP is under no obligation to admit non-program learners into the MC program. To apply to take a course as a non-program learner, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see below to determine the best fit for your situation:
Post-Masters Certificate in Counselling
For students who have completed a Master's degree in Counselling, Applied or Educational Psychology elsewhere and would like to take 3-4 courses.
Western Dean's Agreement
For students who are attending a Psychology-related Masters at another western Canadian university.
For psychology-related Masters program graduates who are missing 1‑2 courses for licensure purposes.
Note for Undergraduate Students: We are not currently offering graduate-level courses to students who do not have a Counselling-related Master's degree completed or in progress.
The following are deadlines to apply as a non-program student:
- May 15 for Fall Session courses (September to December)
- September 15 for Winter Session courses (January to April)
- January 15 for Spring Session courses (May to August)
Late applications are not assessed nor retained for future consideration.
New non-program students must contact email@example.com to confirm eligibility prior to submitting a non-program application and submitting the non-refundable fee. Course registration is not possible until our office has completely processed your application.
Once your application has been processed, current non-program students do not have to submit additional non-program applications. You will be able to register in future courses through the online registration system.
The following deadlines are for non-program course registrations:
- July 1 for Fall Session courses
(September to December)
- November 1 for Winter Session courses
(January to April)
- March 1 for Spring Session courses
(May to August)
Course registration is not possible until our office has completely processed your application. Existing non-program students can proceed to registering in courses.
- Go to Course Offerings to review the syllabus for your course selection. Note: not all courses are available to non-program learners. Access to courses will depend on availability with priority given to program students.
- Review the applicable fees. Ensure you include the appropriate Course Tuition fee as well as the Athabasca University Graduate Student Association (AUGSA) fee.
- For those students taking a course through the Western Dean's Agreement, online registration cannot be completed. Note that the fully completed and approved Western Dean's Authorization form must be received in the GCAP office by the applicable course registration deadline noted above.
- It is the learner's responsibility to register by the course registration deadline and ensure that all prerequisite requirements are fulfilled. If a learner registers in a course for which they are not eligible, the registration may be cancelled and the tuition fee, less the withdrawal processing fee, will be refunded.
- Ensure you are aware of the applicable Course Withdrawal Regulations. Contact the FHD program office at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one month before the applicable course registration deadline.
- Funded students will be required to pay out-of-pocket if funding is not received prior to the course registration deadline. You must contact the student financial aid office at Athabasca University, three months prior to your anticipated start date to ensure funding is in place for your start date. For more information, contact AU Student Financial Aid.
- Late registrations will not be accepted.
Information effective September 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021.