Faculty of Health Disciplines
Non-Program Student Application
Please read all the application procedures carefully before you begin the application process.
Visiting students and prospective students who have not yet been admitted to the MHS or MN program may be permitted to register in up to five approved MHST or NURS courses on a first-come, first-served basis, space permitting.
Registered nurses in good standing with a Master of Nursing and NP preparation seeking to return to practice after a period of inactivity may be approved to register in up to five courses as a non-program student. Recommendation for the student's learning plan shall be obtained by the student from the College of Registered Nurses in the province where the student wishes to be licensed.
Students who wish to add a Family All Ages designation to their license may be approved to register in a maximum of five courses as a non-program student. The number of courses to be taken will depend on the student's individualized learning plan as recommended by the College of Registered Nurses. Additional courses may be required by the NP Program Council.
Courses taken as a non-program student can be applied toward the MHS or MN program requirements, if and when a student becomes a program student. Grades on courses completed as a non-program student will be considered in the admission process. However, successful completion of courses as a non-program student does not guarantee admission into the MHS or MN program.
The following are deadlines to apply as a non-program student:
- May 15 for Fall Session courses (September to December)
- September 15 for Winter Session courses (January to April)
- January 15 for Spring Session courses (May to August)
Late applications are not assessed nor retained for future consideration.
New non-program students must complete and submit a non-program application and then register in their chosen courses. Current non-program students do not have to submit a non-program application. You can just register in your chosen courses.
Must be completed by all new non-program students.
Following are the procedures required to apply as a CNHS non-program student. It is strongly recommended that you print and read this entire document prior to proceeding with your application. Failure to complete all steps will result in your application not being reviewed for approval or processed.
Note: Transcripts are not required for CNHS non-program applications.
- Complete the Application to the Faculty of Graduate Studies online through the Registrar's Office at Athabasca University. Disregard the request for official transcripts.
Important: If you have been a student at Athabasca University (AU) or have received an AU student ID number as part of a previous application:
- You must first login by clicking the Login link (left-hand side, under the General heading);
- Click on Graduate Application and complete the required steps;
- Be sure to select "Non-program application for the Centre for Nursing and Health Studies." Do not select a major;
- You are required to pay the CNHS Non-Program Application Fee (which is a separate fee than the Program Application Fee) even if you have already applied to a program.
Note that all application fees are non-refundable—review the Centre for Nursing and Health Studies Graduate Fees.
If you are new to AU, then you will be required to complete steps b. to d. as noted above. You will be assigned a student ID number. Your AU student ID number will be used to access all AU services and resources.
- Proceed to the Centre for Nursing and Health Studies Graduate Student Admission System.
- Select the non-program option to start your CNHS non-program application.
- Complete all components of the online non-program application. Each component must be finalized.
- Click on the "Proceed to Final Review" button in the checklist after all components have been completed and submitted. At that point you will no longer have access to view or modify your application.
- You can make changes or additions to your application at any time prior to the application deadline (and prior to submitting your application for final review). You will be able to track completion of various components of the online application through an online Application Checklist.
To check your application status, use the link provided in Step 2 above.
- The status of your application will appear as "Under Review" if all steps have been completed and the application has been submitted for final review. All applications will be reviewed for acceptance during the two week period prior to the Course Registration deadline (please see below). Note that telephone confirmation will not be provided.
- If the status of your application appears as "Review Complete," your application has been processed. Click on the link beside your status to review the results of your application.
The following deadlines are for non-program course registrations:
- June 1 for Fall Session courses
(September to December)
- October 1 for Winter Session courses
(January to April)
- February 1 for Spring Session courses
(May to August)
New non-program students must complete and submit their Non-Program Application prior to registering in courses. Existing non-program students can proceed to registering in courses.
- Go to Course Offerings to review the syllabus for your course selection. Note: Non-program students cannot normally register for NURS 518, NURS 522, NURS 524, NURS 526, NURS 528, NURS 530, MHST/NURS 611, MHST/NURS 719, or MHST/NURS 720. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an exception. Access to courses will depend on availability with priority given to program students.
- Review Centre for Nursing and Health Studies Graduate Fees. Ensure you include the appropriate Course Tuition fee as well as the Athabasca University Graduate Student Association (AUGSA) fee.
- For those students taking a CNHS course through the Western Dean's Agreement, online registration cannot be completed. Refer to the second paragraph in step 4 below. Note that the fully completed and approved Western Dean's Authorization form must be received in the CNHS office by the applicable course registration deadline noted below.
- Complete the online course registration—refer to Course Registration in the CNHS Program and Course Regulations. Ensure you are aware of the applicable Course Withdrawal Regulations.
Contact the FHD program office at email@example.com at least one month before the applicable course registration deadline.
- Tuition Paid by Student Loans: You must contact the student financial aid office at Athabasca University, three months prior to your anticipated start date to ensure funding is in place for your start date. For more information, contact AU Student Financial Aid.
- Late registrations will not be accepted.
Information effective September 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021.